Microsoft SOFS and Hyper-V
Learn how Hedvig connects to Microsoft SOFS and Hyper-V clusters using SMB. Hedvig provides highly available software-defined storage for Hyper-V failover clusters.
Elastic Block Storage for Microsoft Hyper-V
Hyper-V technology has gained significant traction in many virtualized computing environments with customers across a wide spectrum – from small to medium business to large enterprise companies. By building its virtualization platform directly into Windows Server, Microsoft has fostered Hyper-V adoption and made it easy for customers to create and manage a virtualized computing environment.
Hedvig is a scale-out distributed storage platform with real-time multi-site replication, providing protection of data and also delivering maximum availability in the event of server or data center outages. Hedvig’s hyperscale architecture is ideal for Hyper-V virtualization deployments, providing highly elastic and flexible storage that can be scaled independently of compute. The Hedvig software-defined solution runs completely on commodity hardware, reducing enterprise storage costs while modernizing businesses.
Hyper-V Problems that Hedvig Solves
- Costly and complex storage provisioning slows virtualization workflows.
- Traditional storage limitations including lack of native multisite-support present risk of excess downtime.
- The high cost of traditional storage solutions based on proprietary hardware/software.
- Introduction of storage silo with Hyper-V specific storage solutions.
Why choose Hedvig
- Built-in replication enables stretch clusters for private and hybrid clouds.
- Hyperconverged and hyperscale architecture for maximum scalability and flexibility.
- Multi-hypervisor and Azure support eases migration from VMware and to hybrid cloud.
Key Hedvig Hyper-V Features and Functions
- SMB support with Microsoft Scale Out File Server (SOFS) integration
- Per-volume and per-VM data services policies
- Proven interoperability with Azure for hybrid cloud VM replication
- NFS, iSCSI, S3, and Swift support for additional hypervisor and bare metal applications
- Tunable replication factor with 1-6 copies for HA and DR and encryption ensure data availability