Hedvig: Veeam-ready backup repository and archive solution
Digital transformation has exposed the legacy roots of backup and has magnified backup’s stodgy pace, compared to the more agile technologies that cloud and distributed computing systems provide to enterprises today. All modern applications are being designed with high-availability and cloud compatibility in mind, and most storage solutions are struggling to keep up. Hedvig’s Veeam-ready backup repository and archive solution presents an opportunity to start modernizing your backup solution and transforming your traditionally passive data into a treasure trove of information.
Veeam delivers availability for all workloads — virtual, physical and cloud, including support for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V — from a single management console. It provides fast, flexible, and reliable recovery of your applications and data, and brings backup and replication together into a single software solution.
The Hedvig Distributed Storage Platform is a software-defined storage solution that lets you tailor an elastic storage system built with low-cost commodity server hardware to support any application, hypervisor, container, or cloud. Hedvig is built with cloud-like provisioning and simplicity for infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and plugs seamlessly into cloud orchestration solutions to deliver automated, on-demand storage provisioning at any scale.
With the combined solution of Veeam and Hedvig, enterprises can achieve:
- Lower costs, using commodity hardware and advanced storage reduction capabilities
- Ease of consumption, with intuitive interfaces and instantaneous storage provisioning
- On-demand, pay-as-you-grow backup storage
- Hybrid cloud and multi-cloud deployments
- Integration with your current workflows using the Hedvig REST API
HEDVIG DEPLOYMENT FOR VEEAM
Hedvig’s deployment with Veeam consists of two components (Figure 1):
- Hedvig storage service: This is installed on all physical servers and cloud instances that can act as a storage node. These storage nodes can span multiple racks and datacenters, along with various public cloud platforms, such as AWS, Azure, and GCP. Hedvig’s Distributed Storage Platform (DSP) consolidates capacity from all of these storage nodes across on-premise infrastructure and public clouds and presents an easy-to-use virtual disk (vDisk) abstraction. These vDisks can be used as an iSCSI disk, NFS volume, AWS S3 bucket or OpenStack Swift container.
- Hedvig storage proxy: This component can be installed as a VM in the same hypervisor as the Veeam backup proxy server. It is responsible for presenting a vDisk of type NFS or block to Veeam and acts as a protocol translator for Hedvig. It performs inline global deduplication and prevents any duplicate data from going over the wire. It can also consume faster media (SSD/NVMe) to provide edge data caching for faster restores and accelerate dedupe operations by caching dedupe metadata.
CONSUMING HEDVIG VOLUMES FOR BACKUP TARGET
Linux-based Veeam repository server
As you can see in Figure 2, there are two disks mounted on a Veeam Linux-based repository server:
- Block: Hedvig’s vDisk of type block mounted as an iSCSI disk (/dev/sdb), created xfs partition and mounted at a local directory “/hedvig1”.
- NFS: Hedvig’s vDisk of type NFS (HedvigNFSDisk) mounted on a local directory “/mnt/NFSVeeamDisk” as shown in Figure 3.
Veeam’s backup repository can consume any of these two disks as backup target.
Windows-based Veeam repository server
Again, there are two ways to consume Hedvig disks:
- Create Hedvig’s vDisk of type block and use iSCSI initiator to access it as a raw disk and then create any Windows-based filesystem that Veeam’s backup repository server can discover.
- Use Hedvig’s NFS disk to create an NFS-based datastore in your hypervisor and carve out a disk for the virtual machine where Veeam’s backup repository server is running. Just like the previous option, you can create a Windows-based filesystem, and now this disk is ready to be consumed as a locally mounted backup target
Hedvig’s integration with Veeam provides a complete and modernized backup solution that is truly software-defined and does not rely on any proprietary hardware. Hedvig’s multi-site, hybrid-cloud, and multi-cloud capabilities provide an opportunity to build a cloud-ready or cloud-native solution. This makes any purpose-built deduplication appliance obsolete and cloud storage gateways redundant. In addition, you can serve your primary and secondary workloads using the same platform and avoid introducing another storage silo.
To read more about Hedvig’s Veeam integration, check out our comprehensive solution guide here and Veeam’s KB article on Hedvig here. Please contact us directly here for any additional information on the Hedvig solution.
Download the free solution whitepaper for an in-depth look of how Hedvig can be used as a backup target for Veeam Backup & Replication.